Friday, February 19, 2016

2016 February 19ᵗʰ. No Matter How I Look at It, It’s You Guys' Fault I’m Not Popular!

おはよう!

Whelp, I've exhausted my to-see anime list. That went by waaaay faster than I thought it would. Now, then, there was one anime I had really wanted to do an impression of, but held off since I had promised the others, but now...
...I forgot what it was.

Dang, I feel old. My last birthday was only a couple weeks ago; I'm already feeling the years piling on...
You whippersnappers get off my blog!

今日

This one, I thought I'd love this one.
Nooooope.
The protagonist's name is Tomoko. Kuroki Tomoko. I thought she looked like a fairly cute little loli in what pictures I'd seen of the show, but now that I've watched it, I am just... Disturbed. Yes.
Now, to business. This anime's full title in Japan is Watashi ga Motenai no wa Dou Kangaetemo Omaera ga Warui!, translated into English as No Matter How I Look at It, It's You Guys' Fault I'm Not Popular! Which is quite a mouthful, no matter where you come from. In light of that, it has been given the wonderfully succinct nickname of Watamote. Thank dog.
This anime seems to be about the tribulations of one socially awkward girl, fresh into highschool, who struggles with the fact that she can't seem to get herself to become popular. I wouldn't say that the show is cringe-worthy, because that seems quite unfair. It's clearly hyperbole on modern asocial or introverted behaviour, which is actually quite severe in Japan. But, the anime did make me uncomfortable. Very, very uncomfortable. I, myself, used to be incredibly introverted, and still am to a good degreee; but the kind of humour used in the show reminds me of a few morally darker, real people that I know. It made me feel strange indeed.
Muttering out a tiny "Goodbye." Seems about right.
Including my slightly shifted perspective on it, I didn't really like Watamote much at all; though some parts did make me laugh, I think the humour just wasn't for me.

I, for one, have many a-times gone to check out something I've heard negative reviews of; simply because I know the large difference between the reviewer and I, and some of the things they hated just sound devilishly good to me. In this, I hope that some of you will check out this show as well; since I'm just being a strange, grumpy Cire over it.
There are parodied brands all over this anime, it's great.
Or, maybe, if you're sensitive or do not at all enjoy tongue-in-cheek humour, you won't check it out, and I may have saved you some time in your day.
Either way, I can hardly stop whatever your heart desires, so here's the link on Crunchyroll.
Here on Kissanime, and here on Animehaven.

No comments :

Post a Comment